There are two passwords used for backup:
- The backup account password, that allows connectivity to the backup service, backup and restores.
- The encryption key, which allows the data to be decrypted ( This cannot be changed)
By default on setup, the encryption key is set to be the same as the backup account password, however the encryption key is independent from a backup account's password. If the backup account password is changed afterwards, the encryption key remains the same as at install and cannot be changed.
It is very important that the encryption key is written down and additional copies of the key are made and stored in safe places so that it is readily available when needed to restore data.
Note: If the encryption key is lost, the data is irretrievable.
To change the backup account password, follow the below steps:
1. Ensure to note down the current encryption password for future use if needed.
2. Open the Backup application
3. Click on the profile button in the application’s main window.
4. Under "User Information", Click the Change button. This will launch the "Change Password" Dialogue. Enter your Old Password and New Password into the corresponding text box and press OK